Monday, June 4, 2012

Love the one you're in!


HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!

Today I was struck by an overwhelming feeling of stagnancy (perhaps it is the Monday blues). It occurred to me today that we are in the first week of June... which means we are half way through 2012! Like the vast majority of New Year's well-wishers, I made the resolution to drop some weight. About 30 pounds to be exact. No small feat, especially for this self proclaimed food addict.

Similar to many new post-graduates out there, life after college did a real number on my bank account and emotional sanity. For about a year and a half after graduating in June 2010, my life revolved around counting every penny, cupboards full of top ramen and ultimately that moment of weakness when you dip into your savings to indulge yourself in a night out or some must-have article of clothing.  By April 2011, I found my entire savings account depleted. No surprise, right? Well the stress of living so frugally and consisting off of cheap processed foods took on a toll on my body. Around 30 pounds to be exact.

By New Year's 2012, I was in a (slightly) better financial place and mentally sane enough to attack my extra baggage. My first and second months of working out and eating healthy were moderately successful. Spring of 2010, I was living off of a vegan diet and had, prior to that and through half of 2011, been a vegetarian- my body was loving the whole fresh fruits and veggies it had been missing and felt at ease letting go of most animal products (damn you, sushi and cheese!). I was able to drop about 14 pounds in that time. However, I am not someone who enjoys counting calories, logging workouts or meals. By the end of February, I had convinced myself that I needed a (short) mental break since I was beginning to feel manic about counting and logging all of those calories. Well that short break turned into a two month hiatus...

So here I am now 6 months later, feeling so far off of the bandwagon.

The reason I wanted to approach this topic today is because lately I have been feeling pretty blue about having lost sight of my goal. Ultimately it comes down to my need for discipline, but that is a whole 'nother beast to tackle! My struggle with weight loss, that so many women face too, is finding that sensitive balance between feeling good about yourself while being healthy, and feeling free (or unafraid) to eat. I find that my relationship with food becomes unhealthy during a time that I am actively trying to lose weight. It becomes a vicious cycle of abstaining and emotionally binging. Earlier today I happened upon an image I wanted to share with everyone:


This image reminded me of something I had been forgetting: to love my body for all its quirks and everything that it allows me to do. We are all glorious and beautiful in our different shapes and sizes. For those of us still trying to hold on to our hope of making a change- Don't give up!! I hope this image inspires you as much as it does me.

Again, happy Monday and xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment